- The Thrifty Mama™ - http://www.thethriftymama.com -
Make Your Own Scented Candle
Posted By Crystal Collins On September 25, 2012 @ 2:55 pm In Frugal Living,Home and Garden | No Comments
As I’m brainstorming great DIY gifts for the holidays, I asked the question: is it easy to make your own scented candle? I wondered if I would have to buy a bunch of expensive molds and supplies just to be able to make a couple of candles for people this holiday season. So I set out on an adventure to the craft store to see what I could find. I found something that is just going to blow your mind! With this, you’re going to be able to make your own candles in just a few minutes, with no hassle and no mess!
They are called wax beads. Yes, wax beads. And all you do is put them in a container with a wick and a scent and you’re done! Here’s how to do it.
1. Pour your wax beads into your container. If you’re doing multiple colors, make sure you use a spoon to even out the surface of one color before adding the next one.
2. Use your spoon to flatten and smooth the top once you have filled your container. Leave a little room at the top (an inch or two).
3. Push in your wick piece that you have hopefully trimmed down to size. If you are using a wick that has a metal piece at the bottom, then you will put it in your container first before adding the beads.
4. Take a dropper and drop in a few drops of the essential oil you want to use.
Now you’re done! You have an inexpensive and easily made candle.
A couple things to think about when making your own candles: be careful not to put too much wax in your container, and always be careful not to use too big of a wick for your container either. We don’t want to have any messes or fires! The container you use should be fire-resistant as well. Do not add your essential oil as the candle is lit, and use caution and care around flames…always!
Another thing to note about wicks: stay away from wicks that have a piece of metal in them (ie. lead), as this puts toxins into the atmosphere. If you can go with a soy or bees wax, that’s the best option for a healthy home.
See how easy it is to make your own scented candle? Now get out there and make some awesome gifts, or just make them to enjoy yourself! Have you made your own candles? I’d love to see pics!
Like DIY stuff? Here’s some more:
Article printed from The Thrifty Mama™: http://www.thethriftymama.com
URL to article: http://www.thethriftymama.com/make-your-own-scented-candle.html
Copyright © 2012 The Thrifty Mama™. All rights reserved.