Natural Holiday Guide
Welcome to The Thrifty Mama’s 2009 Natural Holiday Guide. This year’s hottest gift seems to be this cute little Elf, but what is an elf on the shelf? This year I wanted to step out of the norm and offer some gift ideas that are more green, natural, organic and/or handmade. This not only puts some fantastic natural products out there for you all to see, but is also supporting mompreneurs, inventors and smaller companies. Since I try to promote more natural ways of living on my site, I felt this would be a great addition for the holidays.
I’ve done my best to feature items that are budget-friendly, but there are a few more extravagant gifts that are sure to spoil the giftee. Be sure to check for coupon codes, as some of these companies have been gracious enough to offer my readers a discount. Look forward to a few more items being added, so check back!
Newly Added Items
Gifts for Everyone
Babies and Kids
Beauty and Skin Care
Newly Added Items
Price: $4.99 and up
If you want to find an organic food gift for someone, but also want it to look nice and taste wonderful, then you might consider Canterbury Organics Baking Mixes and Cocoas. These weren’t just good, they were, “wipe the drool from your chin” good. The hot chocolate was sweet and rich, but not too rich. It had just enough richness that I was left wanting more. Everything comes in nice gift-like packages, and the mixes are so easy to make. I received the Fireside Sparkly Diamond Shortbread Cookie Mix w/ Sugar Sprinkles, and was surprised at how easy it was to make. The only ingredient I had to add was butter. And the fact that this is organic does not mean it is sacrificing in the taste department. This reminded me of my Mama’s home-made shortbread bars. Very simple, yet utterly “melts in your mouth” delicious. This would make a perfect hostess gift, and is already presented in a gift box.
- Canterbury Natural’s Organic Fireside Hot Chocolate Mix Trio includes Fireside Peppermint Hot Chocolate, Almond Hot Chocolate, and Hot Chocolate, is only $4.99. Each packet makes two steaming cups of cocoa to share.
- The organic mixes are also free of trans fats, hydrogenated oils, artificial additives, preservatives or colorings.
- Available at your local grocer including Kroger and Whole Foods, or online.
Prices: $2.79 and up
As a company, Preserve strives to combine socially and environmentally responsible business practices with groundbreaking design to create products that people feel good about having in their homes. They believe that choosing eco-friendly products doesn’t mean having to sacrifice quality, price, or performance.
I received two of their storage containers, and was immediately impressed with the look and design. They are very simple, but have an elegant look about them. The only thing I didn’t really like was the twist on top for one of the containers. It took me a little while to get used to using it, because there aren’t many bigger products that have a twist on top. But I can definitely deal with that to know that I am helping the environment and using something that is better to for my family. And the prices are fairly reasonable too.
- 100% Recycled materials that are BPA Free.
- Recycled with #5 Plastic.
- Preserve has Kitchen items, Tableware and even Toothbrushes!
- Available at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and Target.
- Supported by Stonyfield Farm and Organic Valley.
- Get a Free Stonyfield Farm Preserve Cup and Coupons when you buy 4 Stonyfield Yogurt Quarts, details HERE.
Coupon Code: FREESHIP09 for Free shipping when you spend $50 or more.
Price: $32.99 and up
Normally I probably wouldn’t feature a T-shirt that was this expensive, but for every Organic Rain Tee that you buy, a tree will be planted in the endangered Rain Forests of Central and South America. The shirts are hand-made and designed by the people in the Amazon. I think this is a great cause to support, and you are getting a beautifully designed organic t-shirt! I know that I personally would enjoy getting something like this for Christmas. Let’s not forget how important our environment and the lives of others are as we rush through this Christmas season.
- Rain Tees are handmade right outside the Amazon in Peru, using only 100% certified organic Peruvian cotton and eco-friendly inks and dyes at their family owned factories.
- Workers are paid 25% above average.
- For every Rain Tee sold, a child living in an area of endangered rain forest receives a tree to plant.
Price: $29.95 and up.
Get back to basics with this wonderful natural tree block set. Back in a time when computers were non-existent and people survived off of the land, children would play with hand-carved wooden toys. This is definitely a very nostalgic item, and I loved seeing my little girl play with it! The natural wood smell was heavenly, and these were just so fun. They inspire creative play without all the technology we have today. Item ships from Canada, so order yours today!
- 2009 Top Ten Eco-Toy Winner
- Natural Pod Exclusive Design
- Rustic Tree Branch Blocks with smooth finished ends perfect for stacking.
- Comes in a locally made natural cotton bag.
Gifts For Everyone
The items are made in a small villages from Bali, Guatemala, Honduras, Cambodia and India. $5 from EVERY item sold at Five Accessories goes back to these small villages. “The five ACCESSORIES collection features handbags and accessories handmade with materials ranging from bamboo to coconut shells to recycled materials and more, which are specific to the global regions in which they are created.” A hand-made bracelet made in a small village from the other side of the world is sure to make an impression. The bracelet I received was very well-made, durable and beautiful. It’s definitely going to be a conversation starter!
- $5 from each item goes directly to SafePassage.org.
- All items are hand-made using materials that are specific to the global regions they were created in.
Coupon Code: THRIFTYMAMA10 for 10% off!
Did you know that you shouldn’t dispose of regular batteries in landfills? State regulations vary, but you should be recycling regular batteries because of the harmful effects they have on the environment. This is not so with the Fuji EnviroMax Batteries. When you purchase toys or electronics this year for a loved one, it would be great to pair that with batteries that are greener and healthier to have in the home.
- Packaged in recycled materials.
- Dispose of in most landfills, but you should always follow your states’ regulations.
- Cadmium, Mercury and PVC Free.
- EnviroMax batteries match or even exceed the performance and lifespan of other brands.
- The batteries recently won two parenting awards from The National Parenting Center and iParenting Media.
- Available at Target, Big Y, True Value, ACE, Amazon.com and more.
Cleaning products may not be the first thing you think of when trying to find a gift for someone, but think about all the time we all spend in front of the sink cleaning. We should be able to do it in style and be green at the same time. Full Circle Home offers sustainable and renewable products that are not only great for your home and the environment, but they are also inexpensive. My jaw nearly dropped when I saw the prices.
For about the same price that you would pay for a “nice” plastic brush at the store, you could have one of Full Circle Home’s brushes. In this case, you would be doing a lot more for the environment! It would be very inexpensive to put together a great gift basket for someone with these products. They have brush scrubbers, sponges, towels, cellulose cloths and more. I was able to try these products, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they work and how much thought went into their design. For example, the Suds Up dish brush & sponge stand on end so you don’t end up with a puddle on your counter and you don’t need a separate storage container. Stylish, Sustainable, Green and Function; these products really do get my highest recommendation.
- All Full Circle cleaning products break down into eco-friendly, biodegradable materials
- Bamboo is finished with natural oils.
- Customers do not want to sacrifice form or function in order to be green.
- The plastic in Full Circle products is derived from cellulose and starch in plants, and not petroleum
- Find a list of places to buy HERE.
I received these, and absolutely loved them! They come in a beautiful package, and it looks like you are getting yummy chocolate treats. But don’t eat them, because they are actually for your garden! Plant your bon bons in some beautiful pots and grow your own lemon balm, chamomile, nettle and more! If you have a notorious green thumb on your list for a gift this year, then you should definitely consider getting them Garden Bon Bons. It is a delightful gift that I do not think will easily be forgotten. It makes quite the impression! And it’s a good one.
- Hand-crafted out of clay, organic compost and quality seed.
- Presented in a truffle box like garden chocolate, that is compostable.
- The seed types are carefully chosen to provide superior germination, growth and culinary attributes.
- Some Garden Bon Bons are hand-rolled in or treated with organic natural pesticide such as coffee, cinnamon orpepper.
Coupon Code: HOLIDAY2009 Free Priority Shipping on orders of $10 or more!
Make a statement and bring back memories by sending a Green Gram Rubber Ducky this holiday. Their statement “Green is the New Yellow” is sure to get your point across and make an impression. These ducks are made from 100% recycled materials, as is the packaging. This is such a cute, durable and highly collectible rubber duck that will make a great gift for anyone on your list. “Reduce Your Carbon Duck-Print,” and send a Green Gram to a friend.
- Made from 100% Recycled Materials.
- Genuine Mr. Green Rubber Ducky Remix.
- Use it as a fund-raiser for your environmental or other non-profit group.
Coupon Code: THRIFTY for 10% off!
This is perfect for the writer in your life. I received some of Green Shanti’s stationary, and it is very elegant. But the best thing is that it is all handcrafted from recycled natural fiber, raw materials, and organic dyes. No tree has been touched to deliver these exquisite paper products made by communities of artisans of less than ordinary means. They are all made using Lokta paper, special 100% handmade paper from the bark (outer layer) of the Daphne plant which grows in the middle mountain regions in Nepal. Do you have a relative or friend that loves to write letters, or even writes literature on a regular basis? I believe this will make a very special and personal gift.
- Creating opportunity for small communities by helping them focus efforts into these handcrafted products.
- Made using Lokta paper, special 100% handmade paper from the bark (outer layer) of the Daphne plant.
- Recycled natural fiber, raw materials, and organic dyes.
Price: $34.99 (or buy individual items starting at $2 and up)
Selina Naturally offers a lot of great products, but I have decided to focus on the sampler because I really think it would make the best gift! I received a sampler set, and have been enjoying the different tastes of salt from around the world. My favorite is the Hawaiian Deep Sea Salt, as it tastes like the ocean! It’s a lovely reminder of my visits to the ocean as a young child. If you have a chef, frugal gourmet or just an avid food lover on your list, I think they will be extremely blessed with this gift.
Gift Box Contains:
- Large refillable grinder with Light Grey Celtic® salt.
- 8-oz. shaker filled with Fine Ground Celtic Sea Salt® Brand salt.
- 1/4-lb. resealable bag of Flower of the Ocean® salt.
- Refillable grinder with Portuguese coarse salt.
- Refillable grinder with Hawaiian Deep Sea Salt.
- Wooden Twist Top Salt Box.
I know you’re first thought is that reusable bags would not make a good gift, but you are wrong! These iTySE bags are not your normal reusable bags. They come in an iTySE Bityse that is so stylish and easy to handle. I’m forever dealing with my reusable bags being scattered all over my car. When it’s time to go into the grocery store, I have to hunt them all down and it is very tedious. With the iTySE Bityse, you can keep them all in one little bag that is very easy to take along. iTySE sent me the Tommy Green, and it is so charming. Inside you can keep their durable mesh bags, or squeeze in all the ones you have from various stores like I do. And in the process you are doing it with style! While the price is steep on this product, if you know someone that would really like something like this, it may be worth it. With retailers now offering cash and rewards for shopping with reusable bags, this will definitely become a gift that keeps on giving. Not to mention, you will be helping the environment!
- Stylish, washable and convenient.
- Assembled in the USA.
- iTySE works with Oregon Corrections Enterprises to provide inmates with skills and attitudes needed to enhance their opportunities to secure employment upon release. See more about this HERE.
Mrs. Meyers has put out a fabulous candle, a Holiday Clean Up Kit and more. The new line of Iowa Pine smells wonderful. I’m so tired of trying to find great items with that pine scent so that my house will smell like pine for the holidays. Normally nothing really works. The Mrs. Meyers natural soy candle dispersed scent through the room like you wouldn’t believe. It was fantastic, and I am loving the pine smell! And I love even more that my family isn’t breathing in toxic fumes because it is a natural candle. Mrs. Meyers holiday scent is available now in several different kits, so check them out!
I had actually never used the Skoy Cloth until the company recently sent me some to try. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these work at absorbing messes and cleaning with. My son inadvertently spilled a glass of water onto my computer desk, and I quickly got rid of the spill with a Skoy and avoided disaster. Did you know that a Skoy Cloth can absorb 15 times its own weight? I didn’t know this. And I certainly didn’t think I would like how they looked being in my kitchen. They have these cute holiday designs, that won’t spoil your decor this season. I think this would make a great gift for someone not only because it is useful, but you are encouraging someone to help the environment and have a “greener” home.
- One SKOY cloth saves 15 rolls of paper towels.
- 100% biodegradable and natural.
- Reusable and machine washable: Dishwasher, Washer and Dryer Safe!
- Absorbs 15 times its own weight.
- Original artwork designs that add fun as well as function to your home.
- Amazing durability.
- Microwave it wet for 1-2 minutes to keep it germ-free (must be wet).
Ready to use your gift-giving power for the greater good? Influence how your “giftee” drinks water by giving them a Tappening water bottle. The slogan “Think Global, Drink Local” is sure to get people talking. Tappening is running a national campaign to encourage people to make tap water their water of choice. The company launched this in order to educate the public about the wastefulness, excessive cost, and pollution of the Earth caused by the bottled water industry.
- All of the money raised via the sales of the bottles and bags has gone directly back into the educational website and campaign.
- The 100% BPA-free plastic bottles are available in green or in blue. The Green bottle says “Think Global, Drink Local”; the Blue bottle says “What’s Tappening?” ( $14.95 plus $3 s&h).
- The stainless steel bottles are available in Silver, Blue, Gold and Red ($18.95 plus $3 s&h).
- The Tappening Message-in-a-Bag is made from yesterday’s discarded single-serve water bottles and yogurt containers.
Being that these chocolates are hand-made from organic and raw ingredients, they are a little pricier than what most of us are used to paying for chocolate. But this Thrifty Mama is bravely saying that they are worth every penny! These were the most delicious chocolate truffles I have ever eaten in my life. The chocolate truffle is rich, creamy, and it melts scrumptiously in your mouth. I’m not required to say this, and I’m not even required to feature this product, but I love it! I think this is a great gift for a special someone in your life. Not into chocolate? They have several other products that are just as good! I was able to try a sampler of the different items that they offer, and I was thoroughly please with every piece I tasted! I do not think you will be disappointed. Just try not to become too addicted!
- Mixed and rolled by loving hands.
- Made from the highest quality raw, organic ingredients.
Back To Top
Beauty and Skin Care
Prices: $4.50 -$55
I received the Chivas starter kit, and I believe these products to be of the highest quality! The bath salts sachet was what really sold me on the products. The aromatherapy along with the great detoxifying agents made for a very calming and pleasant experience. Afterward my skin felt extremely soft and smooth. It was a nice reward after a long hard day of chasing two toddlers. The goat milk soap is equally exceptional. I don’t know how else to describe the smell other than beautiful and yummy! Usually soaps dry out the skin, but this is not so with soap made out of goats milk. While I’m a big fan of the moisturizing cream, bath salts and soap, my husband loves the lip balm… I have to fight him for it. If you can swing the $38 price for the gift set for someone this year, I highly recommend it! It makes a very special gift!
- Chivas is partnered with The Nomad Foundation, and you can donate a goat to the nomadic Tuareg people of Niger for only $55. Packaged in a pretty box, the gift includes a choice of one goat milk soap from one of our many scents, along with a print certifying the donation from Leslie Clark, the artist who founded the Foundation. Leslie goes to Africa herself to buy and deliver the goats, meaning that the price is much less than when buying an animal through a larger organization like Heifer International.
- Goats are hand-milked and made into the soaps by the mother-daughter founders in California.
- They use this fresh milk along with herbs from their garden, fair trade shea butter and yummy-smelling essential oil blends to then hand-cut and trim their soaps. Find out more about this and take a video tour of their farm here.
Price: $30 (reg $32)
These are such a great way to pamper a woman in your life. Moisture Jamzz gloves and socks are worn over your favorite cream to rehydrate and rejuvenate dry, chapped skin. It’s perfect for winter when skin is prone to be dried out. Moisture Jamzz provide a simple, yet fun and fashionable at home “spa treatment” for the hands and feet.
- Made with Organic Cotton.
- Available in Men’s sizes as well.
This kit is absolutely wonderful! And for the price, you are getting a great bargain. The products are handmade out of all natural and organic ingredients. I enjoyed using this product very much, because there wasn’t a strong unnatural scent to it. Strong scents always irritate my allergies and give me a headache. This was very mild and refreshing. It also worked very well and brightening and smoothing out my skin. This would be a great gift for someone that can’t or won’t use skin care with harmful chemicals and strong scents.
- CarenOnline is a safe place to shop for organic and natural skin care, as they have very strict criteria for purity and effectiveness.
- Stephanie Simkins makes the Skin line by hand, and in small batches.
Coupon Code: 20% Off for my readers with code giftset20
Prices: $6.50 -$54.95
Hey everyone, this is Bobby, Crystal’s husband. Since the product that we received for review from JustNeem was the travel gift set for “Him,” Crystal felt it was only natural that I write the review for it as she couldn’t very well test it out herself. So here we go… I have never actually used shaving soap before so this was a real treat. After using it I found that my skin, even without taking the time to do a close shave, felt surprisingly softer and more nourished than with any shaving cream/gel I have ever used. I would never actually buy this set for myself as it does cost $39.95, but I know I would be thrilled to receive this as a gift, and so would any man. So, if you are looking to spoil your husbands, or if you are a guy and would like to spoil your wives, I would highly recommend anything from this company. If you aren’t ready to spend a lot they do offer soaps for $6.50, shaving soaps for $7.50 and the shaving brush is $12, which I believe is worth every penny as it is high quality.
- The Neem Tree is perfect for use as a soap as it is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral.
- With each purchase you support tree planting and economic development in Africa.
Offer for my readers: Mention ThriftyMama in the note section of your order for a free gift. For orders $25 and more, you will receive a free gift of one of our most popular soaps ($6 value). For orders $50 and more, you will received a gift set consisting of a beautiful soap tray and one of our most popular soaps” ($12 value).
Back To Top
Gifts For Babies and Kids
Infants and toddlers are forever having chapped lips and faces during the cold months. This organic lip and face balm is made with Argan, Calendula and Sea Buckthorn and smells like chocolate! Yum! It comes in a tube that is five times bigger than a normal lip balm tube, which really makes this a pretty good deal. It’s nice to carry along in your diaper bag, and you can just pull it out when those baby’s cheeks and lips start chapping. If you have someone in the family with a new baby, this would be a great little stocking stuffer!
- Comes in a jumbo size of 0.75oz, which is 5 times bigger then a regular lip balm.
- Infused with nourishing ingredients like Argan, Calendula, Macadamia and Sea Buckthorn, rich in Palmitoleic acid, Omega 6, Omega 9 and Vitamin E.
- Smells like chocolate – yum!
- Sweetsation donates a portion of their sales to the March of Dimes.
- Receive a free gift item of your choice (up to $20) when you return five pieces of their empty containers back to them.
We all know the cold days do not end when Christmas is over. That’s why I think a hat for a child is a perfect gift! Especially from Mimi’s Babies Etsy Shop. These hats are made by hand, and are so adorable. I received some items from Mimi’s Babies and the handiwork is great! The Elmo hat makes the top of my list for a great gift idea. But Mimi’s Babies has some really beautiful girl hats with flowers as well. So many choices! So little time until Christmas!
- Items can be customized to your preference.
- All Handmade.
- Check out the Mimi’s Babies Blog to keep up with all the creations!
This beautiful polar bear is made from soy fibers, and shivers when squeezed. It naturally provides a sense of security for children, and is absolutely adorable. My little girl is enjoying having something sweet and soft to cuddle with during the holidays. I love that it is eco-friendly, better for my child, and the price is right! Give a little one something that they will love, and parents will love as well!
- Eco-friendly anti-bacterial Soy-based fabric
- Vibration device with 2 gentle rhythmic options
- Timer and hug activation options
- Memory foam hands and feet
- Storybook and adoption certificate
- 1 AA batteries included
Prices Start At: $25
These tutus are beautifully hand-made by BabyCakes Creations. When I first saw this, I was in awe. It is so beautiful and puffy; just what a little girl will love. It has an elastic waist, so it is very easy to get on and off of my little toddler. I put this on my two-year old and she just danced and pranced around the room like she knew she was a little princess. If you want something that is beautiful and hand-made with love for a girl this year, I highly recommend you get a tutu from BabyCakes Creations. I’m sure your girl’s eyes will light up just like mine did when she saw her new tutu!
- All items are created with great care and attention to detail in a smoke-free home studio.
- Ready to Ship Items ship within 2 business days of received payment.
- BabyCakes Creations offers over 40 colors of the softest 100% nylon tulle around.
- Tulle used in our creations is made in the USA, flame retardant, and certified lead free!
- Tutus for your favorite dog or stuffed animals available as well!
The Rosie Kidzsack makes a great gift because it can be reused over and over again. It comes with 8 washable non-toxic markers, that you can color the sack with. Once you are ready to change the colors, throw the sack into the washer machine to start over. This is great as a home school project or just a regular activity for children, and they can use the bag for many different things. Encourage them to use it as a grocery bag, back-pack, craft bag and more! While I’m not sure this is the best price for an item, I do like how it encourages creativity and environmental awareness.
- Made from recycled fabric with natural fiber straps.
- Comes with 8 washable non-toxic markers.
- Wash it and re-color it for a reusable arts & crafts project.
Back To Top
All items featured have a personal review by myself or my husband Bobby. We received samples for review, but inclusion in the gift guide is not required or was ever promised. All opinions are 100% our own. View my full site disclosure here.