- The Thrifty Mama™ - http://www.thethriftymama.com -
Popcorn: 7 Reasons to Pop Your Own
Posted By Crystal Collins On April 15, 2010 @ 7:38 pm In Frugal Living,Organic and Green Living | 26 Comments
We’ve recently started popping our own popcorn. Not only is this healthier, but for the most part it is also cheaper. Here are 7 reasons you might want to start popping your own.
1. It’s Cheaper: When you do a cost per ounce comparison, it is usually always cheaper to go with a bulk container of plain popcorn, than to buy the prepackaged bags. You really are paying for the packaging when you buy the boxed stuff. Sometimes it will be cheaper to get the boxed popcorn after a sale paired with coupons, which is why I’m going to also list the next 6 reasons to pop your own.
2. It’s Healthier: When you buy just plain kernels, you aren’t dealing with all the additives, preservatives and artificial flavors that can be found in the pre-packed bagged popcorn.
3. It wastes less: I made a batch just recently and counted the number of kernels that didn’t pop. That number was a whopping #2! Not only does that mean this is less wasteful, but it means you are saving money by using more of your kernels. When I use a bag, it usually always misses a ton of kernels. It’s also less wasteful in the fact that you aren’t dealing with a lot of packaging that will be thrown out and sit in a landfill somewhere.
4. Flavor the way you like it: Making your own allows each guest or family member to flavor it how they like. Here are a few ways we like to flavor ours:
5. Portion Control: Make as little or as much as you want. Sometimes you may want less or even more than what comes in a pre-packaged bag, and popping your own allows you this convenience.
6. It tastes better: Myself and the rest of my family honestly believe our home-made pop corn tastes better than what comes packaged at the store. But don’t take our word for it, try it yourself!
7. It’s fun to watch the popping: I have a glass top for my skillet, so we get to watch the pop corn pop. It’s so much fun to watch, and it shows my kids that popcorn doesn’t just magically show up in a bag out of the microwave.
Tips for making your own popcorn:
Do you pop your own popcorn at home? What tips do you have to share, and how do you like to flavor your popcorn?
Article printed from The Thrifty Mama™: http://www.thethriftymama.com
URL to article: http://www.thethriftymama.com/popcorn-7-reasons-pop.html
Copyright © 2012 The Thrifty Mama™. All rights reserved.