Recycled Christmas ornaments are a fun way to make homemade gifts for family and friends. These simple ornaments come with a cute gift bag for presentation to your loved ones.
Supplies you’ll need for ornaments:
- cardboard from used food boxes or shoe box lids
- scissors and/or precision knife
- string or ribbon scraps
- white paint
- glitter paints
Instructions for ornaments:
- Find stencil you like, or design your own. Make two identical copies of the stencil. Cut out stencils and trace onto cardboard.
- Cut out cardboard. You might need the precision cutting knife to get a smooth edge. You will now have two identical cardboard cutouts.
- Choose the string or ribbon you’d like to use as the hanger. Cut a length of about 8 inches of string. Loop the string placing the two cut ends together. Glue string ends to the center of one of the cardboard cutouts making sure that the loop of the string comes out of the top of the ornament. (You don’t have to let this dry before moving to the next step.)
- On the same side as you glued the string, place glue all over to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Assemble the two cutouts back to back with the glue and string in the middle of the “sandwich.” Allow to dry completely.
- Paint the ornament white to create a base coat and cover any design from its prior use.
- Paint the ornament with glitter paint.
Supplies for Gift Pouch
- 6 inch X 15 inch piece of fabric
- 18 inch piece of 1/4 inch ribbon
Instructions for Gift Pouch
- Fold and iron 1/8 inch around the entire fabric. Fold again, iron, and sew to form 1/8 inch seam all the way around.
- Fold the wrong side of the fabric over 2-1/2 inches from each long end. Iron. Sew a straight stitch at 2-3/8 inches and 2 inches from each end. This will create a 3/8 inch casing on both ends.
- Fold the fabric in half with the casings facing each other. Iron. Sew a 1/4 inch seam from the fold to the edge of the ribbon casing. Do not sew over the casing. This will create a pocket with 2 inch flaps above the front and back.
- Tie a knot in one end of the ribbon. Attach a safety pin to the other end of the ribbon and feed through the ribbon casing. Make sure to feed the casing through the front and then the back. The ends will end up next to each other making a full circle. Remove the safety pin and tie a knot into the other end of the ribbon.
Now you have a cute little pouch for gifting your recycled Christmas ornaments!