Pancakes done with whole ingredients actually make a fairly healthy breakfast. I find that pancakes made this way taste fantastic, and I don’t feel bad about my children eating them in the morning.
How to Make Pancake Mix from Freshly Milled Wheat
- Wheat Berries (organic, soft white works best for pancakes)
- 1 cup of raw sugar
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mill your grains into a nice flour. A soft white wheat (preferably organic) is best for muffins and pancakes. If you use a harder grain, you will need to sift the flour through a sifter before moving onto the next step.
And if you don’t have a wheat mill, a coffee grinder will work and sometimes even a blender. You will just have to do small amounts at a time. For those of you wondering, I have a BlendTec mill, but I am not a fan of it. It is noisy, and makes a mess in my kitchen.
- Move the flour to a gallon size freezer bag. Fill the bag up about half way.
- Add in the other dry ingredients, close the bag and mix up the ingredients really well.
- Place in the freezer so that the flour doesn’t go rancid.
To Make Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pancake Mix (what you just made)
- 1 Egg
- 1 T Oil (Coconut Oil makes the yummiest pancakes!)
- Water or Milk to your liking
I never use the same amount of milk or water every time, because sometimes we like our pancakes thin, and at other times we like thick ones.
- Mix all ingredients together with your mixer, and mix until you reach the desired consistency. Add more pancake mix if your batter comes out too thin, or add more milk/water if you want it thinner.
- Oil your pan, and warm it on low-medium heat.
- Poor pancakes and heat until brown on one side and then flip with a spatula to brown the other side.
- Enjoy pancakes with your favorite topping. Our favorites are applesauce, and of course maple syrup.
If you want to, you can mix things up by adding blueberries, chocolate, cinnamon or other fabulous ingredients to liven up your pancakes. What are some of the things you like to add to your pancakes? Do you have a special way that you make them and top them? You can leave a comment by clicking here.Print This Post